2021’s Award-Winning Research in the Classroom
Dive into the world of science behind our 2021 Canada Gairdner Awards laureates.
Partnering with the Michael Smith Laboratories at the University of British Columbia (UBC) and the Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences (CSMB), we have created a series of animated videos and illustrated materials that help explain the work and research that some of our 2021 Canada Gairdner award winners have accomplished.
We are so proud to celebrate the innovative work of our 2021 laureates and we want to share their brilliant research in a fun and easy to understand way. That’s why we have partnered with UBC, CSMB, and the talented illustrator Armin Mortazavi to create a selection of entertaining educational materials for the third year in a row.
Science is so important, now more than ever. We encourage you to engage with these materials and share them online to help spread the joy of understanding that science can bring to our lives.
Visit the links below to download the materials.
- Canada Gairdner Awards 2021 Laureate Education Materials (Full package)
- The Molecular Elements of Diabetes by Daniel Drucker, Joel Habener, and Jens Holst
- Click here to watch The Molecular Elements of Diabetes animated video.
- From the Lab Bench to the Hospital Bed by Elizabeth Eisenhauer
- Click here to watch the From the Lab Bench to the Hospital Bed animated video.
- Virus Trackers and Preventing Pandemics by Guan Yi and Joseph Malik Peiris
- Click here to watch the Virus Trackers and Preventing Pandemics animated video.
- Discovering the Breast Cancer Gene by Mary-Claire King
- Click here to watch the Discovering the Breast Cancer Gene animated video.
- Check out the full playlist of these animated videos right here.
- For classroom activities and discussion questions based on our 2021 Canada Gairdner Award laureates and their work, click here.
Register for Gairdner Science Week to hear from these incredible scientists, and much more, in our week full of LIVE events! And tune in on October 28th to watch as our 2021 laureates receive their Canada Gairdner Awards!
Many thanks to all the students who contributed to this amazing project: Brenna Hay, Sarah Laframboise, David Ng, Farah Qaiser, Zahra Sepehri, Rhonda Thygesen, and Nicole Wang.
Illustrations by Armin Mortazavi
For more information about the Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences, please visit https://csmb-scbm.ca
For more information about the UBC Michael Smith Laboratories, please visit https://www.msl.ubc.ca
If you have any questions, please contact Jocelyn Togeretz, email@example.com